It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Its just a game. 
Corporal

PSN ID: Dynasty8388
Post Re: Its just a game.
Solo_Maxximus wrote:
So it is possible to make the point in 100 words or less, hmmm. :)

lol I guess it is

Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:45 pm
Sergeant Major MC

PSN ID: Ghztr_11
games is not just a game. It's my life, and so are the 55's <3
The day I enlisted into the 55's, was the day I realized The 55's was my true love, not my girlfriend, So I kicked her out of the house.

HAHA! Kidding :P Love both ^^,

Anyway, games is actually an sport.
It is E-sport.

And I shit you not, we have schools in Norway that offers 1 year of education in E-sport.

Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:36 pm
Profile WWW
Clan Member

PSN ID: brickwall35
Ghztr_11 wrote:
The day I enlisted into the 55's, was the day I realized The 55's was my true love, not my girlfriend, So I kicked her out of the house.

It is E-sport.

And I shit you not, we have schools in Norway that offers 1 year of education in E-sport.

E-sport is the dumbest fucking thing ever. It's not a sport. Sports require ATHLETIC ability. Same reason Curling isn't a sport.

Call it a competitive event, or game, whatever. It's not a sport.

Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:31 pm
Banned

PSN ID: Solo_Maxximus
Well, they did name it "electronic-sports" to be fair. So, I don't believe they are designating it a physical "sport" but rather an "e-sport". That's better than what most competitive games do.

Sport by definition is an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

So, an e-sport would be an electronic activity involving mental exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Many grey areas when it comes to what is and isn't a sport. Car Racing, Horse Racing, Golf... believe it or not, Chess is recognized as a sport.

So, competitive games are considered sports. But yea, that could be considered stupid :)

Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:09 am
Clan Member

No, E-sports aren't sports. The E is for electronic. That's true. The sports part: not so much.

And who considers chess a sport?

Everyone seems to want their activity to be called a sport. Yet most don't even meet the definition of the word. So they slap an "e" in front of it. Stupid.
Just call it like it is. Competitive gaming.

Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:13 pm
Sergeant Major MC

PSN ID: Ghztr_11
brickwall35 wrote:
Ghztr_11 wrote:

It is E-sport.

E-sport is the dumbest fucking thing ever. It's not a sport. Sports require ATHLETIC ability. Same reason Curling isn't a sport.

Curling became an official sport at winter OL 1998.
So sorry, it's a sport.

Do you know that chess and brigde is also a sport?

The word SPORT is a broader term. In my head, sport is a form of competition where you train for a goal, to win either it's for social reasons, mental or physical reasons or to achieve results.

Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
Clan Member

Ghztr_11 wrote:
brickwall35 wrote:
Ghztr_11 wrote:

It is E-sport.

Curling became an official sport at winter OL 1998.
So sorry, it's a sport.

Do you know that chess and brigde is also a sport?

The word SPORT is a broader term. In my head, sport is a form of competition where you train for a goal, to win either it's for social reasons, mental or physical reasons or to achieve results.

Lol they are Olympic Games, not sports. Some Olympic games are sports. Not all. Curling isn't. Any game where a 6 month pregnant women can compete (and win) isn't a sport. (Yes that actually happened in Curling)

Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:25 pm
Clan Member

And I go by the dictionary definition. People like making up their own definitions nowadays.

Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:26 pm
Banned

PSN ID: Solo_Maxximus
Maybe I'm not too old for curling then

Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:40 am
Second Lieutenant

PSN ID: Quppodill
brickwall35 wrote:
And I go by the dictionary definition. People like making up their own definitions nowadays.

I'd argue that you define it just as much yourself as the rest of us seeing how you argue your point. I am pretty sure that if you look up curling you will not find "can be played by 6 months pregnant women" or some such definitions. Besides, anyone that has played curling will tell you that it is a hugely physical sport. It requires a lot in hand eye co-ordination and the brooming itself is tough as fuck because you need to keep up the speed.

Chess, belive it or not is physically taxing at the top level. The focus required to play a game that lasts 6 hours or more is insane.

Definitions also change based on how people define things over time. Definitions are not static.

What the hell is wrong with my dick?? It's all blurry!

Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:20 am
Clan Member

If curling is physically taxing on you, you might need to hit the gym.

And I regularly sit on my ass for over 6 hours at a time. That doesn't make me an athlete.

Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:20 pm
Second Lieutenant

brickwall35 wrote:
If curling is physically taxing on you, you might need to hit the gym.

And I regularly sit on my ass for over 6 hours at a time. That doesn't make me an athlete.

Neither of the statements proves your point. They are valid though. ;)

Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:26 pm
Clan Member

Curling doesn't require athletic ability. Which is a requirement of a sport.

Sitting for hours on end an athlete does not make.

Both statements prove my point.

Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:38 am
Second Lieutenant

brickwall35 wrote:
Curling doesn't require athletic ability. Which is a requirement of a sport.

Sitting for hours on end an athlete does not make.

Both statements prove my point.

Curling does require athletic ability. So does chess. My statements prove my point.

Both your statements and mine prove nothing in all honesty. They are yours and my opinion. That you consider these two things to not be sports you've made more than clear, just like others here disagree with you.

Then again, this has been debated for many years and I doubt we'll get anywhere in here either.

Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:27 am
Banned

PSN ID: darth_maul_80
i think its just people assumptions as to what is sport. Definitions from English Oxford Dictionary "activity that you do for pleasure and that needs physical effort or skill, usually done in a special area and according to fixed rules"

that said if someone asked me if i thought Darts is a sport i would without thinking say no. However when you think about it it technically can be due to the amount of skill and concentration required. Is not physically taxing (and usually those good at darts are quite rotund and frequent pubs - just a little stereotype :D )

i do however find hunting and fishing hard to comprehend as sport if we only use physical exertion as guideline only. Fish can't hunt you back and game can't shoot you back? how is that competitive in anyway? But they both require skill and concentration etc.

I have however seen curling injuries in clinic. Ranging from bad backs to injured shoulder and tendonitis from the repetitive strain.

Q obviously jokes with me that motorsport isn't sport. Well it isn't. it is Motor-sport. Drivers have to be in peak physical fitness as the experience high G's when cornering or on impact. Many a Formula 1 driver when not racing stay fit by doing marathons or triathlons, mountain biking etc.

but without a dictionary definition most people have their own opinions (and thats what they are) about what is and isn't sport. We can all agree to disagree :D

I do Kendo. Its a martial art. many other martial arts now have a sports aspect to it but kendo still doesn't and they plan on never making it an olympic sport. But it like all other martial art (not sports side) fits the definition of sport to a tee, but it isn't a sport

Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:21 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next