It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:39 pm



Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Its just a game. 
Author Message
User avatar
Sergeant

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:26 am
Posts: 386
Location: Hell If I Know
PSN ID: screamowaffles
Post Its just a game.
One thing I hear in clan battles or a training session is 'it's just a game' or, 'we can do better next time'.

But when you spend hours, days, weeks, months and years playing video games, it becomes a part of you. The 55s have been around for years, would you say that 'it's just a clan'? No because the clan means a lot to everyone of you.

If you spend years training for a sport, in the end are you going to say it's still just a game? Because it's not, you enjoy that sport, you have fun and you put blood, sweat, and tears into it.

Video games are obviously a bit different but you sure as HELL cannot say that you have not been enraged by another player, get sweaty in an intense game, or gotten emotionally involved while playing a video game.

Food for thought.

_________________
Image


There are no rules, only punishments.


Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:52 am
Profile
User avatar
Clan Member

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:53 pm
Posts: 6004
Location: the shit midwest
PSN ID: brickwall35
Post Re: Its just a game.
In the end you always need to remember that you should be playing for fun. If you aren't having fun, whether be in a game, at work, with a person, etc., you should move on to something you enjoy.

So in that sense, "it's just a game" is fitting, because if you aren't enjoying it, it's not something that your forced to do. It's a game. Have fun.

_________________
I KILL PRESTIGE, AND WHEN THEY RISE FROM THE DEAD, I BLOW THEIR FUCKING HEADS OFF!
Image
I SHALL BRING THE BITCHSLAPAPOCALYPSE UPON ALL PRESTIGE!


Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:08 am
Profile
Second Lieutenant

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:54 pm
Posts: 3042
Location: Sigma 957(also Europe)
PSN ID: Quppodill
Post Re: Its just a game.
I see where you are coming from, Waffles, but I disagree with that. It could be a generation thing, but I don't know.

Do I feel a moments annoyance over something that happens in a game? Sure I do. I also feel a sense of accomplishment when I pull off something difficult. That is not to say that I'd compare it with sports because I've never put effort like that into a game.

Relax, it's just a game is important for me because some people rage so incredibly much that it seems they have forgotten what Brick points out, that it is in fact just a game and that it is supposed to be fun. The moment you rage so much that you get angry, lash out, write hate mail(which i still have received one of on PSN... but I did receive a text in GTA) etc, you've sort of lost the point of playing a game.

So for me, if the fun is over, I go and do something else for a while. After all, it's just a game.

_________________
Image


What the hell is wrong with my dick?? It's all blurry!


Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:08 am
Profile
Leadership_

Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:53 pm
Posts: 3818
Location: over here
PSN ID: julesvega
Post Re: Its just a game.
I laugh when I blow people up with my traps I laugh when I do something dumb like fly a copter into power lines if I take a game to serious I lose interest in it but I can also agree we need to take things serious especially in a clan battle yes we need to practice yes we need to work as a team but also we need to make it fun

The last battle I was in I was focused and on point I can't explain how but I was able to turn off the side of me that joked and takes it easy and just focus on my job during a battle but afterwards I just need to go and have fun and decompress after the match to clear my mind and focus on the next one


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
Image
you will die an honorable death


Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:03 am
Profile
User avatar
Sergeant

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:26 am
Posts: 386
Location: Hell If I Know
PSN ID: screamowaffles
Post Re: Its just a game.
You guys missed the point, which I kinda lost while writing, this was focused solely on clan battles using a sport analogy lol. Clan battles should be fun, but they're also more competitive, which means you kinda have to care a little more. All we have been doing is fighting clans way out of our league and expecting something magical to happen along the way and calling it 'just a game' at the end of the day. And when we dont even have a chance NO ONE has fun.

_________________
Image


There are no rules, only punishments.


Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:32 pm
Profile
User avatar
Banned

Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:00 pm
Posts: 4821
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
PSN ID: warcriminal_954
Post Re: Its just a game.
screamowaffles wrote:
You guys missed the point, which I kinda lost while writing, this was focused solely on clan battles using a sport analogy lol. Clan battles should be fun, but they're also more competitive, which means you kinda have to care a little more. All we have been doing is fighting clans way out of our league and expecting something magical to happen along the way and calling it 'just a game' at the end of the day. And when we dont even have a chance NO ONE has fun.


no doubt the clan battles are something we need to take serious if we plan to do them and win. however, we're going to take some beatings to get where we want to go. that's something we have to accept. at the end of the day it is just a game, but I want us to be the best we can be at this game while having fun. I guess what I'm saying is balance is key when it comes to the clan battles.


Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:58 pm
Profile
Corporal

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:28 am
Posts: 152
PSN ID: Anttras
Post Re: Its just a game.
brickwall35 wrote:
In the end you always need to remember that you should be playing for fun. If you aren't having fun, whether be in a game, at work, with a person, etc., you should move on to something you enjoy.

So in that sense, "it's just a game" is fitting, because if you aren't enjoying it, it's not something that your forced to do. It's a game. Have fun.


Agreed


Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:22 pm
Profile
User avatar
Banned

Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:09 pm
Posts: 977
Location: Behind My Scope
PSN ID: Solo_Maxximus
Post Re: Its just a game.
I think it’s important to understand how this clan is built (IMO). This clan is built as a casual gaming clan who likes to delve into the semi-competitive world. I say semi-competitive because I don’t believe individual clan battles to be considered competitive gaming (more like friendlies). They are competitive in nature, but not in the competitive gaming world. So, to me… the individual clan battles are more like competitive practice. But should be taken more seriously than casual gaming. Because when we sign up for a clan battle, it's the 55s pride we are putting out there.

We are engaging in clan battles against clans that are built differently than us. Many of these clans are involved with professional gaming, they belong to ESL and other competitive ladders and tournaments. They recruit based on their members maintaining a certain K/D Ratio, they practice constantly, and they perfect their craft. They have been doing it for a while and revolve their clan around competitive gaming. (not supporting the K/D thing by the way)

That is not us, which I am fine with. However, I do understand what Waffles is saying… and I agree. I don’t interpret what Waffles wrote as a justification for bitching, moaning and groaning or complaining the entire time. Since she wrote this in the “Matches & Events” section, I associated this with our attitude towards competitive matches, clan battles and hopefully tournaments.

When you are casually playing the game, you are all about having fun. Joking, talking, enjoying each other’s company and having a great time. There really shouldn’t be any bitching or moaning because you’re playing the game in a relaxed and casual atmosphere. We are just having fun and always playing the fucking objective (PTFO) together, which is what I love about being a 55. We have a great community of friends who PTFO.

However, I think there is a difference when you decide you want to play something competitively. Now you are treating the game like a sport and that should take on a different mentality. I think most, if not all athletes enjoy the game they play, but they’re not playing pick-up basketball in the backyard. They decided to compete against other players in a competitive arena. What is the fun part of playing a sport competitively? It’s the act of competing. If they just wanted to play the game, they can go do that in the backyard. But competing? You commit effort into that.

Competing is fun, but losing is not. Now hear me out, there is a difference between being a good sport and a bad sport when you lose. The overall experience of the match, competing and striving to be better than the next guy is fun. Losing? That’s going to come with competing and it’s not fun to lose. But it should push you to work harder, to train better, and to come back and win the next time.

I don’t blame someone for being frustrated when they lose. I don’t blame someone for being upset after a loss. Competitive athletes are mostly upset with themselves when they lose. So if you grunt after a kill or have the occasional “lash out”, as long as it’s because you’re frustrated with yourself, that’s cool. It’s the poor sports that blame teammates and the competition for a loss. As a 55, we are not poor sports and we don’t blame each other or the competition for a loss. Read How To Play Like A 55 http://www.the55s.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3381

What drew me to the 55s? it was a well written recruitment post on the Battlelog forums. The entire post is awesome, but here is a line from the recruitment thread that really prompted me to apply:

“We arrange matches from the casual friendly’s to the more serious clan battles/leagues and everything in-between, so whether you’re a hardcore gamer or a relative newcomer seeking to improve your game you should be right at home here”

What did I interpret that as saying? If I wanted to play a casual game with friends this was the place to be. If I wanted to turn up the heat, get serious and compete as a “hardcore gamer” this was the place to be. As a member of the 55s, I had the option to do both.

The issue we are currently having in my opinion is people are blurring the line between playing casually and playing competitively. If you’re going to commit to playing in a competitive match, you’re committed to winning. Otherwise, go and play a round of conquest casually and have fun. As a 55, you have a choice to play casually and have fun, or play competitively with the will to win.

Some of the stuff I read in “The 55s History Book” that inspired me to be a 55, was its competitive nature and will to win in the earlier COD days. The 55s created their own league and created a competitive atmosphere. Now we seem to be more casual, but there are members who want to get back to those more competitive days. Not to make the clan have a competitive atmosphere, but just to make it part of what we make available to members.

Reading through the history book, reading how to play like a 55, reading all of these great threads gave me a real sense of PRIDE. When I wore a 55s tag it was going to mean something. When I killed an enemy and they saw my 55s tag on their screen, they were gonna be like “damn those 55s”. When the 55s were in a lobby, people knew they were going to be in for a tough match.

When we post a clan battle, we make it open to whoever wants to sign up for the clan battle. People come out of the woodworks to play and that is great! I think it’s awesome that we are an all-inclusive clan that allows all of its members to participate.

However, if you’re going to sign up for a clan battle... commit yourself to competing. Commit yourself to representing the 55s to the best of your ability. Commit yourself to putting fear back in the eyes of the enemy. Commit yourself to being the best you can be for your teammate. Commit yourself to the 55s and make that 55s tag proud!!! Commit yourself to winning.

If you sign up for a clan match, make it a point to practice that game-mode and prepare yourself to the best of your ability. Practice with other players who signed up for the match so you can familiarize yourself with each other. Put some effort into preparing yourself for the battle, because you are not playing casually, you signed up to play a competitive match. That takes on a different level of participation, preparation and commitment. That takes on a different level of focus and attitude. Don’t just show up and be like “hey! I’m here”.

Should competing be fun? Yes, it is fun. Should we be happy with losing? not if you’re competing. But be a good sport about winning and losing. If you’re winning, don’t T-Bag the other team ;) and if you’re losing, don’t bitch, whine and moan the entire match. You’re just ruining it for everyone else. Not only are you ruining it for everyone else, you make everyone depressed and their comms stop. So take a loss like a man and live to fight another day. Because yes, this is a game… and you can play it again.

Long story short, don’t sign up for a clan battle unless you’re willing to put some effort into trying to win it.

I for one have tough hours because of work and family. I’m usually on too late to catch the trainings. However, I will be playing TDM all week to get my mind used to the TDM atmosphere, speed and feeling. I will be practicing TDM all week because I have fun playing TDM, I have fun preparing and I have fun competing.

If we commit to clan battles, let's make sure we are competing and bringing pride to the 55s tags.

Holy shit, did you just read all of that?

_________________
Image


Last edited by Solo_Maxximus on Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:26 am, edited 5 times in total.



Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:56 pm
Profile
User avatar
Clan Member

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:53 pm
Posts: 6004
Location: the shit midwest
PSN ID: brickwall35
Post Re: Its just a game.
No, I scimmed.

_________________
I KILL PRESTIGE, AND WHEN THEY RISE FROM THE DEAD, I BLOW THEIR FUCKING HEADS OFF!
Image
I SHALL BRING THE BITCHSLAPAPOCALYPSE UPON ALL PRESTIGE!


Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:04 pm
Profile
Corporal

Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:59 am
Posts: 238
Location: Kalamazoo Michigan
PSN ID: Dynasty8388
Post Re: Its just a game.
if all we are going to do is complain and rage when we are getting ass pounded in a clan battle then lets just not do it unless we are more organized and prepared better. shit is going to happen every battle or in every pub game where something happens and we don't like it but instead of raging lets just take it on the chin and "KEEP ON MOVING" I do rage sometimes but I try and keep that shit to a minimum during battle to not lose focus or distract other team members.


But in the end it really is just a game and we shouldn't let it get to us because bottom line none of us are invincible, but we do need to take the clan battles serious.

_________________
Image


Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:26 am
Profile
User avatar
Banned

Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:00 pm
Posts: 4821
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
PSN ID: warcriminal_954
Post Re: Its just a game.
Dynasty8388 wrote:
if all we are going to do is complain and rage when we are getting ass pounded in a clan battle then lets just not do it unless we are more organized and prepared better. shit is going to happen every battle or in every pub game where something happens and we don't like it but instead of raging lets just take it on the chin and "KEEP ON MOVING" I do rage sometimes but I try and keep that shit to a minimum during battle to not lose focus or distract other team members.


But in the end it really is just a game and we shouldn't let it get to us because bottom line none of us are invincible, but we do need to take the clan battles serious.


What he said ^

Good shit, dynasty!


:text-+1:


Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:29 am
Profile
User avatar
Banned

Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:02 am
Posts: 765
Location: London
PSN ID: darth_maul_80
Post Re: Its just a game.
Dynasty8388 wrote:
if all we are going to do is complain and rage when we are getting ass pounded in a clan battle then lets just not do it unless we are more organized and prepared better. shit is going to happen every battle or in every pub game where something happens and we don't like it but instead of raging lets just take it on the chin and "KEEP ON MOVING" I do rage sometimes but I try and keep that shit to a minimum during battle to not lose focus or distract other team members.


But in the end it really is just a game and we shouldn't let it get to us because bottom line none of us are invincible, but we do need to take the clan battles serious.


:text-goodpost: :text-+1:


Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:23 am
Profile WWW
User avatar
Banned

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:37 am
Posts: 559
PSN ID: Animal0310
Post Re: Its just a game.
Dynasty8388 wrote:
if all we are going to do is complain and rage when we are getting ass pounded in a clan battle then lets just not do it unless we are more organized and prepared better. shit is going to happen every battle or in every pub game where something happens and we don't like it but instead of raging lets just take it on the chin and "KEEP ON MOVING" I do rage sometimes but I try and keep that shit to a minimum during battle to not lose focus or distract other team members.


But in the end it really is just a game and we shouldn't let it get to us because bottom line none of us are invincible, but we do need to take the clan battles serious.




:text-+1:


Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:43 am
Profile
User avatar
Banned

Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:09 pm
Posts: 977
Location: Behind My Scope
PSN ID: Solo_Maxximus
Post Re: Its just a game.
So it is possible to make the point in 100 words or less, hmmm. :)

_________________
Image


Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:59 am
Profile
User avatar
Banned

Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:00 pm
Posts: 4821
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
PSN ID: warcriminal_954
Post Re: Its just a game.
Solo_Maxximus wrote:
So it is possible to make the point in 100 words or less, hmmm. :)


lol


Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:08 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.